Email: E-mail: email@example.com
Phone: (800) 565-3687 outside CT; (860) 669-6648 within C
For grades: K-12, college, and beyond
Requirements for live visit: P.A. must be provided (tech.-sheet available on request), or shipping of same must be reimbursed.
Fees for live visit: Assemblies: $400. for 45 minutes for 300 students, max. 2nd show, same set-up @ $300. Classroom workshops: $400. per day of 4 classes, max., with 30 students, max. per class. Residencies must be negotiated individually. Mileage, airfare, and lodging are
Funding: In CT via CT Commission on the Arts' "Arts Presentation Grants"; In the other New England states via the New England Foundation for the Arts' "NEST" subsidy; In NY through the BOCES Arts-In-Education programs; In FL via Broward County Commission on Cultural Affairs' Arts-In-Education Programs.
Callinan is an expert at getting the audience to take part in the performance. --- Diane M. Hovenesian, Evening Gazette, Worcester, Mass.
PLEASE NOTE: The programs listed below may be adapted to any age audience. More in-depth descriptions are available upon request. The presentations may be either specific and concentrated as to theme, or they may be more general in nature. It is possible for sponsors to create their own tailor-made program(s) from the choices below, as a potpourri or sampler. Custom-made programs are possible, but require at least two months of "lead" time, depending on the magnitude or complexity of the assignment(s).
1. Folksongs, Tales, & Tunes
2. Spoons, Bones, Pennywhistles & "Foo-Foo" Bands
3. The Golden Age Of Whaling (Through 19th Century)
4. In Search Of The Whale (Present Day)
5. Sea Songs, Chanteys, & Nautical Lore
6. Irish And Irish-American Songs and Tunes
7. From Sea To Shining Sea (Immigration & Expansion)
8. 20th Century Troubadour (Tom's Original Songs)
9. Come On And Sing-Along! (Participatory Potpourri)
10. Young America (Colonial &Revolutionary War)
11. Thumbs-Up For Connecticut! (Nutmeggery)
12. Long Island Sound's Good To Me ("Urban Sea" Songs)
11. The Bible Told Me So (Songs With Biblical References)
15. Environmental Hootenanny (Songs For The Earth)
16. Minstrelsy And The Bardic Tradition
17. Lost In Your Words - All Sorts Of Stories
18. Camp Songs As An "In Tents" Experience
19. Food For Thought (Songs/Tales With Food As Theme)
20. Life On The Road/Coping With Showbiz (Career Ed.)
21. Mother Ocean And Father Time (Planet Ocean Songs)
22. Spoonerisms, Tongue-Twisters, And Tales
21. Novelty, Spoof, And Zany Songs
24. Show-Stoppers From The Early Music Halls
25. The Gay 90's Revisited
TOM CALLINAN is a former Connecticut junior high school teacher. Since 1977, he has presented hundreds of participatory programs annually, spanning nursery schools through nursing homes, from Maine to Florida.
Media credits include: ABC-TV's "Good Morning America"; CNN's "Earth Matters"; PBS' "Shining Time Station". Excerpts from two of his original songs were included on an Emmy Award-winning documentary produced by CT Public Television.
Two original compositions were included in the "We Like Kids" Songbooks.
He has recorded over twenty albums as a solo artist or in varying combinations with other artists.
Highlights of the past decade:
1991, named Connecticut's first "Official State Troubadour".
1995, selected as a Master Teaching Artist by the Connecticut Commission on the Arts.
1998, co-writing the official commissioning ballad for the submarine, U.S.S. Connecticut.
1999, representing the State of Connecticut at The J. F. Kennedy Center For The Performing Arts' "Millennium Stage" in Washington, D.C.
1999, featured teller at the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, TN.